SYKRONIX WHITE PAPERS and HOW-TOs
Below are links to some tools, techniques and concepts useful in the study of
consumer information processing. Click SEARCH in the
top menu bar to do a keyword search through SyKronix and Tyman-Space Online College.
- Online Survey Building Blocks
Swipe these html templates for your own uses:
- text boxes
- hidden passwords, numbers, cognitive responses, comments on forced answer choices
- check boxes
- all-that-apply lists and grids
- radio buttons
- choose one-of-many, likert scales, semantic differential scales, paired comparisons
- menu lists
- all-that-apply lists, sentence completion, hidden choice sets
- Tracking Within-page Mouse Movements
on a Web Browser
- How to Track Mouse Movements on a Web Browser
The original 1997 article on measuring response time and mouse placement on a web
page, of value in studies of attention, information overload, advertising, web usability,
and such, including:
- Loop Timer - how to measure reaction time on
a browser (down to millisecond level resolution if you have Linux)
- Stripe Test - how to measure position and
rate of movement on a browser
- Stroop Test - how to track decision making
on a browser; an interactive test for certain kinds of learning disabilities
- Saving Data - how to collect data locally on
a browser without CGI
See a newer version and some practical examples (beta) at
RESEARCH FROM THE BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES LABORATORY
- The Behavioral Sciences Laboratory
at Ohio State, 1981-1987
A flexible model for the ideal marketing research laboratory, useful for
qualitative research such as focus group and IDI interviews.
- How to Study Subliminal Movie Advertising
Can we get rich by putting ideas into peoples' minds without conscious awareness?
How to build and use a tachistoscope. Additional links for technical
- How to Study Subliminal Radio Advertising
Hemispherical differences in information processing: do people really
have a left brain and a right brain?
How to measure responses to audio tape stimuli.
Hardware description and schematic of a
Cds photocell type self-damping audio key interface between an audio tape player and
the analog port of a computer.
- How to Measure Attention During Television
Should commercials be placed in the more exciting parts of a TV show or in
the less exciting parts? Do the exciting parts get our brain pumping or
do they fill it up with thoughts that interfere with commercial processing?
How to use the RT-probe technique to detect attention-related mental processes.
- tracking a management decision making process
Adapting the storyboard technique to a computer before the days of
mouse input devices.
- More on the C-64 as a Real Time Measurement Instrument
ARTICLES IN ADVANCES FOR CONSUMER RESEARCH
Association for Consumer Research has posted the full text of
the following articles online:
See my vita for a listing of
research publications with links to abstracts.